Mode of study
1 year; 1.5 years
- Public Finance (Part I)
- Social Security Systems and Funds
- Monetary Theory
- Management of Public Debt
- Pension Funds
- Social Assistance
- Master Special Seminar
- Public Spending Policies and Programs
- Custom Regimes
- European Public Finance
- Fiscal Federalism
Expected knowledge and skills after acquiring qualification:
Students majoring Public Finance acquire knowledge and skills for: management of financial activities in state, municipal and public institutions and administration; development, consultancy, evaluation and selection of national and municipal project proposals; consultancy of firms and citizens about tax and insurance obligations; compliance according to the customer the most suitable and also the most effective measures for social assistance and protection; offering to corporate and individual clients on the most appropriate products in relation to supplementary pension provision.
Employment opportunities upon graduation:
Graduates can find occupation in various European institutions, in the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works, financial directorates and divisions of local authorities, the Court of Auditors, the National Revenue Agency, the National Insurance Institute, the Custom Agency, the Social Assistance Agency, the Agricultural State Fund, social security funds, consulting firms, specialized schools, universities, and research institution. They can occupy the following positions:
- Experts in the Ministry of Finance;
- Experts in the Permanent Representation of Bulgaria in the EU;
- Experts in the European Commission and particularly in the following DGs: “Budget”, “Taxation and Customs Union”, “Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusions”, “Agriculture and rural development”;
- Experts in the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF);
- Experts in managing authorities and intermediate bodies of various operational programmes, implemented in Bulgaria;
- Experts in the Court of Auditors;
- Experts in the National Revenue Agency and its territorial directorates, including as methodologists, inspectors and revisers;
- Experts in the National Insurance Institute and its territorial directorates;
- Experts in the Agricultural State Fund;
- Experts in financial directorates and divisions of local authorities;
- Heads of financial directorates and divisions in the public sector;
- Heads of budgeting divisions on central or municipal level;
- Tax advisors;
- Experts in custom services
- Experts in planning departments;
- Compliers, consultants and appraisers of public investments, including European projects. and etc.
Graduates can continue their education in the educational and scientific degree “PhD” and to realize in science or to work as teachers and lecturer in secondary schools and universities.
The education in this programme is targeted on the provision of systematic knowledge and complex practical skills in the field of financial management of the public sector. The education focuses on actual problems related to programme planning of revenue and expenditure for the state budget, strategic planning and forecasting of the budget policy, evaluation of investment projects, organization and management of the fiscal policy, tax system, conducting the organization of the public sector in accordance with European requirements and management of pension, insurance and investment companies.
The graduates may occupy managerial and administrative positions, can work as experts in central and local institutions of the Ministry of Finance, in the financial departments of the local authorities, in the National Audit Office, in financial houses and investment firms, insurance companies, customs offices, etc.